In northern India, precisely in the northern part of the state of Uttarakhand, lying at the foot of the Himalayas on the banks of the sacred river Ganges, in Rishikesh, a center of spiritual and religious activities since ancient times that attracts thousands of pilgrims every year.
Rishikesh is situated on the right bank of the Ganga river and is surrounded on all sides by beautiful hills, and is the pilgrimage port for Badrinath and Kedarnath. This has made the place a religious pilgrimage destination but it is also known for its traditional and cultural exhibits, exotic cuisine and many other unique factors that enrich travelers who come here giving themselves a wonderful experience.
Its serene and holy atmosphere inspires pilgrims with devoted thoughts. It is around Rishikesh that wise men, seers, and Brahmins have practiced severe penances and meditations since ancient times. Rishikesh is also referred to as the world capital of yoga and hosts a number of ashrams that offer yoga and meditation classes. Finally, in recent years Rishikesh has also become a destination for adventure lovers, with the possibility of rafting and trekking.
The first thing to know for those wishing to go to Rishikesh to practice yoga is that, unlike what happens for example in Goa where very often you will be staying in hotels, here the yoga classes are held in the ashrams (Sanskrit term that indicates a place of meditation or hermitage) making the experience much more authentic.
The number of facilities in Rishikesh will ensure you find the one that’s right for you: from very spartan, decidedly Indian and cheap accommodations, to other clean, comfortable, but obviously more expensive. Not all ashrams offer courses for all styles of yoga, so you will need to look for what is right for you are online or on-site.
Usually, two lessons a day are held for a length of 1.5 hours each lesson, but this is also variable: it is not uncommon to find full-immersion, mantra courses, in-depth studies and everything else you needs. Precisely for this reason, even your level of yoga will not be a problem: with a minimum of research, you will find what is right for you.
In Rishikesh obviously there are also courses to become yoga masters, with prices ranging from 1200 to dollars, also depending on the accommodation (almost always included) and the type of offer. Even the language will not be a big problem: being used to tourists and foreigners in almost all the Rishikesh ashrams, English is spoken. In any case, even if the language level of the instructors should not be the best, you will still be able to understand and make yourself understood.
9 Reasons why you should do your yoga teacher training in Rishikesh in 2022
- Rishikesh is one of the sacred cities of India because the waters of the great Ganges river have always been considered miraculous. As said from the beginning
- Rishikesh is one of the best places to practice and to have yoga lessons. They are found everywhere, from pensions to ashrams and this has made it the “World Capital of Yoga”.
- Rishikesh is the perfect place to boost your energy and work on internalization at a different level.
- Yoga classes are conducted by experts in this field during which yoga teachers from different parts of the country participate and many people come from different parts of the country and the world to participate in these events.
- Rishikesh with its amazing calming scenario is a great location to practice meditation too.
- You can choose the type of yoga you want to teach and you can customize your stay as per your needs.
- Rishikesh is a vegetarian city, not only in ashrams or hostels for pilgrims, but also in restaurants and hotels in the city.
- In Rishikesh, far away from the common western city buzz, you can unplug and recharge in a unique scenario reconnecting with yourself.
- Being surrounded by nature you can reconnect with yourself and with your roots from a different level enjoying silence, calm and peace all around you.
As you might have noticed, doing your yoga teacher training in Rishikesh in 2020 is your best bet to explore yoga from a unique perspective and to really full immerse into the magical world of this practice to find the best version of yourself and finally become a great awesome teacher in respect of the true yoga lessons and principles.